Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Board and Batten or Bust

  
So my birthday is coming up this week. Tonight while grilling out on the back porch Philip asked me what I wanted for my birthday. 

Originally I had wanted some laser hair removal (because ladies who wouldn't love to save a few extra minutes in the shower). I changed my mind and decided that I would rather have some home renovations done instead. So I told Philip that I wanted to tackle our dining room. Here is my vision:

Board and Batten
I had seen my inspiration on one of my favorite design shows-"Sarah's House". I am a big fan of creating inspiration files so that I am ready at any moment to start a room. I make all of my clients give me inspiration pictures before I start their project because it gives me a clear picture of the direction they want to go. I digress yet suggest that you start one for yourself.

So I saw an episode where Sarah renovated a farmhouse dining room. This is how hers turned out:


I loved how she mixed the textures of bead board and wallpaper. I however have taken inspiration from her pictures and decided to do some board and batten instead. Here are some great pictures to get the point across:





Then after looking for rooms that I liked I discovered that there were different designs in board in batten. I am now leaning toward the additional cross beam 2/3 the way up. I think it will make it just a little more formal (since this is our formal dining room).



This picture doesn't really apply to my room but I think that it is a precious idea for a mud room.

So here are a few pictures of our dining room/"formal" living room before:






Just imagine this room with 3 of the four walls with white board and batten 3/4 the way up and then a deep red paint above. I would like to have a small ledge so I can layer some accessories above as well. I can't wait. I will keep you posted with the progress!




Side note: I already have my eye on our next project. I follow this blog called "the lettered cottage" and they just renovated their small guest bedroom by putting reclaimed gymnasium floors on the wall. I looooove it!!!
I would like to do this on our silhouette wall. To be continued...











2 comments:

  1. This is so cool! I can't wait to see what happens!
    (This is Kate from Pantego, by the way. Got here from Facebook).

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. I laughed when you said you were going to get laser hair removal. So random!
    2. I LOVE the idea for the walls of your dining room! It's going to look amazing!
    3. Thanks for introducing me to the Lettered Cottage. I love the blog and LOVE the wooden floors put on the walls. I can totally see that at your house.

    ReplyDelete