Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Sleep for Two and Two for Sleep

So I have a pair of twin beds that I have inherited. They belonged to my grandparents and I have put them in one of our guest bedrooms. While I realized that they are not the most practical beds for guests, I think that there is something so charming about twin beds. Here are some great examples of why twin beds are so awesome!!!    

           
         House Beautiful
This one is my absolute favorite. I am using it as the inspiration for my guest bedroom. 
        
               
                 House Beautiful
  
                    House Beautiful                                           


  House Beautiful


http://vi.sualize.us/view/d2e0a5d1685e22b6f7cfa7c09cdbd972/ 
                           vi.sualize.us         http://vi.sualize.us/view/b513bdbd04510633862302d55c9df308/






Here is the problem with having twin beds. All of the bedding out there for twin beds has some sort of child theme to them. I have gone to every store I can think of as well as websites and still have not been able to find anything worth purchasing. The designer in me knows that I am going to have to make custom duvets and pillows, but I am also not willing to pay those kind of prices for a room that we never use. So I have come to a DIY solution: I went to Ross and bought queen-sized sheets. Then I found twin comforters on sale at TJ Max. I am going to take the flat sheet and fitted sheet and sew my own duvet cover. I found a subtle leopard print sheet set that I love because it is playful, but I am not ready to commit to that being the face. So I have decided to create dual sided duvets with the leopard being the back side. Now I am on a hunt to try to find the cutest set of sheets to be the front. Then I will take the shams that come with them and get creative with my pillows. I will keep you posted (literally) on the outcome.

Here is the room so far (please excuse the mess, this room is definitely a work in progress):

No comments:

Post a Comment